A young man was on his way home from work when he was involved in a tragic accident in which his face was completely burnt and 80 percent along with his body. Medical science did a miracle when the hope that he would survive was almost shattered.
He is now greeting the world with a new face of a stranger. The world’s first ‘facial transplant’ surgery was successfully performed by doctors in New York, USA. Joseph Dimeo of New Jersey, finished his night shift in August 2018 and drove home in his vehicle. However, Dimeo who was very tired due to the night shift, fell asleep. In the blink of an eye, the car overturned and exploded.
The vehicle caught fire and a huge fire broke out. Joseph in the car was seriously injured. His fingers were cut off and his lips were parted. The eyebrows were torn without a mark. About 80 percent of his body was burned. Luckily a man came like a god and took Joseph out of the fire and rushed him to the hospital.
Doctors at New York Longan Health Hospital performed several surgeries on him. He was kept in an artificial coma for two and a half months and underwent surgeries. However, doctors felt that there was no point in doing a facelift. The doctors who tried to find a suitable donor for this did some tests for him but dimeo’s antibodies rejected 94 percent of donors, confirming that the chance of finding a suitable donor was only 6 percent. So he searched all over the country and as luck he found a donor.
Finally, on August 12 last year, a team of 96 experts, led by Eduardo Rodriguez, director of the Department of Transplantation at Longos Hospital, worked 23 hours to successfully perform a face transplant and implant both hands. Six months later, doctors announced that he was now in good health, with a new face and hands responding to the victim’s body.
Dr Eduardo said two such surgeries had taken place in the past but they had failed. In the first case the face was infected and the person died, in the second case the hands were fitted but they did not work and they had to be removed again. So this is the first successful facial transplant surgery in the world, says Rodriguez.
However, Joseph Dimio said he never stayed calm and lost faith. He said he never thought he would be like this for the rest of his life, and that was a big part of our success. Dimeo commented that his story contributes to others. “I think everyone needs to know about this,” he told the media in Longan on Wednesday. “I hope my life will be an inspiration to other people and hope for a better life. Doctors had to work very hard for the surgery,” he said.